10 outstanding external relations milestones in 2022: World & Vietnam Report
|General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong and General Secretary and President of China Xi Jinping observe the National Anthems of the two countries. (Source: VNA)|
1. High-level diplomatic activities have been carried out proactively in the context of the world's transition to an adaptive state after the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notably, the visit of General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong to China and the visits of President Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh, and Chairman of the National Assembly Vuong Dinh Hue to neighbour countries, important partners, traditional friends, contributing to the promotion of relations of political trust and friendship.
2. Celebrating round and even anniversary of establishing diplomatic relations with neighboring countries and important partners.
In 2022, Vietnam has successfully organized many activities to celebrate 60 years of establishing diplomatic relations with Laos, 55 years with Cambodia as two neighboring countries; 50 years with India, 30 years with Republic of Korea as strategic partners.
|Vietnamese, Lao Prime Ministers chair ceremony to conclude Vietnam-Laos, Laos-Vietnam Solidarity and Friendship Year 2022. (Photo: VNA)|
3. Upgrading relationships with strategic partners and expand relationships with potential partners.
Vietnam upgraded its relationship with Republic of Korea to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, established diplomatic relations with the Cooks Islands.
4. Directive No. 15-CT/TW on economic diplomacy for economic development, issued by the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat on August 10, 2022, is the basis for proactively and promptly shifting focus of the economy to a safe adaptation, recovery and growth.
|On September 19, 2022, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh chaired an online conference with Ambassadors and Heads of Vietnamese Representative Missions abroad on promoting economic diplomacy for the country's development. (Photo: WVR/Tuan Anh)|
5. To keep a close watch on the situation, maintain the resolute and persistent combination of both cooperating and fighting, flexibly handling complicated developments, firmly defending the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Fatherland, especially the security and sovereignty of the sea and islands.
|International conference marks 40th anniversary of UNCLOS in Hanoi: Standing Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Nguyen Minh Vu speaks at the opening of the event. (Photo: WVR/Quang Hoa)|
Vietnam has promoted the negotiation of a Code of Conduct in the East Sea (COC) between China and ASEAN, protected marine economic activities and completed negotiations on the delimitation of an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) with Indonesia after 12 years of negotiations.
6. Multilateral diplomacy continues to make important contributions to enhancing Vietnam's position and prestige at regional and international forums, contribute to protecting the national interests of Vietnam.
|UN Secretary-General António Guterres attends ceremony commemorating the 45th anniversary of Vietnam's membership in the United Nations in Hanoi, on October 21, 2022. (Photo: WVR)|
Vietnam continues to be elected to hold many important positions in UN mechanisms such as Vice President of the General Assembly, member to Human Rights Council, member to UNESCO Inter-governmental Committee of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage; to participate in UN peacekeeping missions; having responsible contribution to ASEAN's joint efforts in regional issues, playing active role at APEC forums, the Mekong sub-region, etc.
|National Assembly Chairman Vuong Dinh Hue attends the opening ceremony of the 43th General Assembly of AIPA in Cambodia. (Photo: VNA)|
7. Implementing timely and effectively work on overseas Vietnamese and citizen protection.
The protection of Vietnamese citizens has been implemented quickly and effectively, especially with the safe evacuation of Vietnamese citizens in Ukraine, receiving and bringing home Vietnamese citizens in Cambodia, having appropriate protection measures suitable for Vietnamese citizens in different countries.
8. Vietnam's process of international economic cooperation, integration and linkage has been accelerated continuously.
Import and export record exceeded 700 billion USD, compared with nearly 670 billion USD in 2021; FDI disbursement of nearly 20 billion USD is the highest increase in the past five years. Vietnam's economic growth is forecasted to reach 8%, exceeding the target of 6-6.5%; GDP (PPP) reached about 1,278 billion USD, ranked 3rd out of 10 in ASEAN, 10th in Asia and 39th in the world. Vietnam has taken participation in the launching discussion process on the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework (IPEF).
|Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern viewed agriculture as a basis of Vietnam - New Zealand relations: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand Minister of Trade and Export Growth and Agriculture Minister Damien O'Connor and Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Le Minh Hoan witnessed the announcement ceremony of lemon and pomelo export. from Vietnam. (Photo: VNA)|
9. Actively implementing guidelines and policies on building a green economy.
The country has been pursuing consistently and making efforts in responding to climate change, actively taking advantage of the cooperation of partners in green transformation with G7 countries and other international partners through the declaration of establishing the Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP).
10. Cultural diplomacy has achieved many outstanding outcomes.
Many Vietnamese cultural heritages have been recognized, such as the Cham people’s pottery making art was inscribed in the list of intangible cultural heritage in need of urgent safeguarding by UNESCO; Ma Nhai Inscriptions at the Marble Mountains (Ngu Hanh Son Mountains) in Da Nang and Sino-Nom handwritten documents from Truong Luu Village, Ha Tinh Province (1689-1943) were recognized as part of the documentary heritage of Asia and the Pacific.
|"Vietnam Days in India" helps tighten bilateral ties: Vietnamese Ambassador to India Nguyen Thanh Hai speaks at the opening ceremony of Vietnam Days in India. (Photo: WVR)|
Vietnam Days Abroad 2022, taken place in Austria, Korea and India on the occasion of the anniversaries of diplomatic ties between Vietnam and these countries, have made good impression with international friends. In addition, SEA Games 31 was successfully held in Vietnam. Vietnamese delegation to the 2022 ASEAN Para Games was ranking third on the medal table, exceeding the target. Vietnamese women's football team enters the 2023 World Cup, etc.